Bing is better than the paid version of ChatGPT

I asked for a detailed summary of a book from both.

OpenAI ChatGPT4 gave me four sentences and refused to go any deeper. It told me to read the book myself.

Microsoft Bing broke down the book chapter by chapter and gave detailed summaries of each chapter.

Used the same prompt for both.

1 Like

I find Bing to be somewhat inaccurate. Longer does not necessarily mean quality. Chat GPT is much more accurate. You probably used Bing Creative. It is notorious for long replies.

Also about ChatGPT, I think you just did not know the right prompts.

1 Like

In my experience, Bing AI (now Microsoft Copilot) was far superior to OpenAI’s ChatGPT 3.5.

However, the new ChatGPT 4 is much more superior. For example, prompting ChatGPT4 and Copilot for help in my research in social sciences revealed results far superior for the latter. You know, proper academic articles with accurate references compared to the limited number of articles that Copilot returns.

Thing is, it can be a problem with Copilot’s system prompt. You would need longer instructions for copilot to return accurate results. Also copilot has strict parameters about what it can and can’t say. While that’s great for a web searching tool, not so great for the myriad of other things it should be able to do. Also, it seemed to hit context limits a lot quicker when it first released than GPT-4 does.

1 Like

Yes, people think you’re crazy if you tell them to be polite to ChatGPT and Bing, but if you do, they operate MUCH better.

As someone who has used both OpenAI ChatGPT4 and Microsoft Bing for book summaries, I’ve experienced the difference in their capabilities firsthand. OpenAI ChatGPT4, while generally helpful for providing brief insights and overviews, often falls short when asked for detailed summaries beyond a few sentences. It tends to prioritize brevity and may even redirect to encourage deeper engagement with the source material, which can be frustrating if you’re seeking a comprehensive summary.

On the other hand, Microsoft Bing impressed me with its ability to break down a book chapter by chapter and offer detailed summaries for each. This level of granularity was particularly useful when I needed a comprehensive understanding of the book’s structure, key themes, and plot developments. It not only provided summaries but also highlighted important passages and characters, making it easier to grasp the book’s essence without having to read it cover to cover.

In my opinion, while both tools have their strengths, Microsoft Bing’s ability to provide in-depth chapter-by-chapter summaries makes it more suitable for detailed academic or professional purposes where comprehensive understanding is crucial. OpenAI ChatGPT4, on the other hand, is better suited for quick insights or generating initial interest in a book rather than providing exhaustive summaries.