Can modified Bing AI art be copyrighted? I used it for a logo

Can mI designed a UK commercial logo using Bing images, later realizing they aren’t for commercial use. Despite significant modifications, I’m worried about issues. I informed my client but overlooked terms. Am I at risk?

Hi Aurelia!

It’s quite a predicament to find oneself in, realizing that the images used for a commercial logo aren’t cleared for such use.

Despite making significant alterations, the shadow of copyright concerns looms large. I’ve already reached out to my client to bring them up to speed, albeit a bit late, as I initially missed the terms of service.

For anyone in a similar situation, it’s crucial to revisit the terms associated with the images used.

If they’re murky or you’ve already proceeded with the design, seeking legal advice is a wise move.

It’s better to navigate these waters with a professional who can provide tailored guidance.

As for the logo, collaboration with your client is key. Transparency can go a long way in finding a resolution that safeguards both parties’ interests.

And for future endeavors, it might be worth exploring images labeled for commercial use right off the bat or investing time in original creations.

This approach could save a lot of headaches down the road.

My dear Aurelia, there is no cause for alarm. :smiley: According to the Copyright Office on ‘Copyright Laws’ AI-generated images are not considered created by human, therefore CANNOT be copyrighted. I ain’t no lawyer though, but I think you should be fine. :smile:

Yes, there is a risk involved in using images sourced from Bing (or any search engine) for commercial purposes without checking the usage rights and licenses. Even if you’ve made significant modifications to the images, if the original source or creator has not given permission for commercial use, you could face copyright infringement issues. It’s good that you informed your client about the situation, but it’s crucial to address this promptly by either obtaining proper licenses for the images or replacing them with royalty-free or properly licensed alternatives. Ignoring usage rights can lead to legal consequences, so it’s best to rectify the situation as soon as possible to avoid any potential liabilities.